Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Are we really all that stupid?

Seriously.  I miss the days of when people have innovative ideas and produce interesting products, cigars for example, and keep thinking of better ways to improve upon their current lines.  But recently it has been nothing but a hog wash of bullshit to keep the sheep drinking more of the same old kool-aid. 

I mean really, a one-time use steel ring on a cigar to keep it from sliding into an ashtray?  Gotta figure out a way for the cigar to actually fit in the steel ring in the first place, and then find a way for the cigar to not slide out of the ring when held vertically before that even becomes a plausible idea.

Then you have one of the premier cigar blenders creating masterpieces 5 years ago to just making variations of his hallmark Black, Blue, and White labels.  Yes Pepin, talking about you.  Let's face facts, your best stuff was when you were playing with Corojo and Criollo, not oscuro, nor Maduro, nor Connecticut wrappers.  Padilla Miami 8/11 and Signature 1932 were the best examples in your portfolio and you part ways to make more stuff for Ashton and the Miami Cigar Co.?  Really?

Then the New York only cigars come out.  So a retailer has to carry the cigar, find ways to sell it in an over-taxed state, and then take on the burden of looking for interstate sales either through internet, telephone, or mail order catalogs (all of which require substantial capital and labor to maintain presuming the retailer doesn't have these capabilities which pretty much applies to most of them) just to "help the NY brick and mortars". 

Then it is the age old problem of over saturation of the cigar market, which leads to cannibalism in the humidors of the retailers, which then leads to having the major online retailers carrying them, which hoses all the brick and mortars who still have stock unable to compete with the pricing.  A friend brought to light some possible faults in the R&D department, but let's face facts.  You manufacturers know what you are doing.  I was completely wrong in thinking as a consumer and question certain moves performed in the industry. Over saturation is the key to your financial success apparently, and I don't see any indication of stopping even if Cigarmageddon insues and the only retailers to stand after the dust settles happens to be CI and Famous.

Honestly, I am a consumer.  I am not looking for the next new thing.  I don't care about a cigar that is blended and rolled by only one person.  I don't care about fancy coffin boxes, multiple flamboyant bands, or the endless gimmicks attached to whatever product you are making and selling.  I just want a stable consistent product to put into my humidor at home so I can smoke and enjoy whenever I want.  10 years from now we'll all probably be looking at a Padron 57th, or a Fuente Fuente Obsured Demolished Toast Across Lost City Prince B-T-Z, or a Pepin Limitless Limited extremely scarce Limitada... and then I'll think back to like I am now and reminisce how I used to love the Cuban Classics until they started sucking, or maybe how many times Padron can replicate that chocolate flavour in their cigars and still have the cultists drinking the kool-aid.

If you manufacturers aren't smoking your competitors' cigars, yours sucks already.  I promise.  I have tasted raisins and licorice with cinnamon and oak before.  Really.  I have smoked salamones and culebras and barber poles before.  Honest.  I fall into a niche of cigar smokes that has been abandoned as of late from the majority of the cigar manufacturers. 

Give me something affordable. 

Give me something that's thinner than a 56 ring gauge. 

Most importantly, give me something that is consistent and easily attainable.  

Since this is a new year, and it's all about resolutions, I am going to be a bit more diligent.  I resolute to stop being so nice this year.  How about you manufacturers stop churning the bullshit.

3 comments:

  1. stop smoking cigars.. you seem to be taking the fun out of it.
    I couldnt care less, if there are a zillion cigars on the market or just 1, as long as there are good ones... I smoke cigars to relax..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I agree....What a whiner....
    A cigar is to be smoked and enjoyed. It could be the most relaxing thing i do all year/month day...

    Maybe if you just stopped and enjoy you cigar and not worry about what the retailers, manufacturers, and other smokers are doing.. Go to the store buy a cigar, light it, smoke it, enjoy..It's that simple... Sincerley Most Cigar smokers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contrary to the two previous posts, I think the author makes several valid points. Manufacturer concerns with the bottom line have led to an oversaturation of mediocre smokes at relatively high prices. New products, particularly when hailed as "limited editions," sell fast. There is a benefit, however, in that creating blends in small batches has led to some wonderful and unique smokes. The trick is to find the best values among them and buy 4 or 5 at a time. After a while, you'll have a treasure trove of the fine cigars and the only problem will be which one to smoke.
    As for discerning the worthwhile from the worthless... that's what reviewers are for!

    ReplyDelete